Firefoxy, Yootoob, And Thou (Updated) (Updated again)
Earlier tonight, Firefoxy and Yootoob appeared to have a sort of snitfit with each other. All of Yootoob's formatting went out the window, down a dozen stories and straight into the dumpster. The dumpster was then set on fire by a guy named Sal using a half-dozen old tires, a jerrican of gasoline, a butane torch, and a hairdryer. All the while, Firefoxy laughed and laughed and laughed, illuminated by the glow of the flames.
Yeah, kinda like that.
Even worse, the same thing happened on websites that embedded yootoob viddies. Like, for example, Wonderduck's Pond and this post
. All was horror and trouble and everything had a toothache and dogs and cats living together. But it was only yootoob, and it was only in Firefoxy. Different browsers had no problem, different video sites played fine. Updating Firefoxy didn't help, nor did the usual cache and cookie cleansing. So what in tarnation was going on?
It is a puzzlement.
Some digging around hither and yon seemed to suggest that it wasn't, in fact, a problem with yootoob or Firefoxy at all, but with the AdBlockPlus add-on. I was resigned to turning it off for yootoob and going through the hell of their ads once again... which would probably drive me back to smokin' and drinkin' and carryin' on. Knowing how close the world was to a horrible fate, a couple of users over at reddit
came up with a solution. If you're having this problem, open ABP, go to exceptions, and add the following lines:
Voila! Everything solved, even embeded videos play now! Apparently, the problem extended into other browsers using ABP as well, so it should work with Opera, Chrome, etc, too. So there. That's fixed. Everybody back on your heads!
UPDATE Friday 947am: A rep from ABP showed up in that reddit thread and says the culprit is the "Malware Domains filter". If you disable that, yootoob is fixed. As most people have multiple filters running, this shouldn't be a problem. I turned off the two exceptions and the filter and everything is back to normal; indeed, it's a better fix than the two exceptions provided. I've inquired as to what sort of timeframe we're looking at for the filter to be fixed... I'll let you know when I find out.
UPDATE Friday 402pm: As of right now, you need to actually press the "update" button on the Malware Domains filter. Once you do that, the problem is fixed and you can reactivate the filter!
Posted by: Wonderduck at
| Comments (7)
| Add Comment
Post contains 426 words, total size 3 kb.
Hmmm. Haven't run into the problem yet, but it's nice to know there's a quick & simple copy-pasta solution.
Posted by: GreyDuck at January 15, 2016 08:26 AM (rKFiU)
Running Chrome, mine did what I think you're describing a day or two ago. It lasted for a few hours, then everything straightened out. Since it was Chrome, I suspect AdBlock updated, but I never looked into it to find out what was going on. Could be something different, though. I'm not having the problem now, anyway.
Posted by: Ben at January 15, 2016 08:53 AM (S4UJw)
Ben, see my update: it was one of ABP's filters causing the problem.
Posted by: Wonderduck at January 15, 2016 09:51 AM (KiM/Y)
I switched from ABP to Adblock a while back and I found it more congenial.
Also, Chrome >> Firefox, but YMMV.
Posted by: Rick C at January 15, 2016 07:55 PM (FvJAK)
Chrome >> Firefox, but YMMV.
Clearly. The only thing that Chrome does better for me is crash, sometimes my entire computer. The only reason it's installed at all is because I needed it when I was at the Duck U Bookstore, so I could attempt to do payroll from home. And, as I said, it often crashed.
So, yes, YMMV indeed.
Posted by: Wonderduck at January 15, 2016 09:38 PM (KiM/Y)
I haven't had to do any of the filter stuff, so I'm guessing whatever problem I had wasn't the same thing. *shrug* I preferred running Firefox or one of it's many variations, but I constantly had memory leak problems. For a few years I would switch back and forth between Chrome and Firefox, but Chrome has been stable for me for the last couple of years. Plus, it's easier in my opinion to from Firefox to Chrome than from Chrome to Firefox. IE, or Edge now, I guess, finally imports and adapts as easy as Chrome, but I still don't trust IE.
Posted by: Ben at January 16, 2016 08:56 AM (S4UJw)
I had not had any problems with Ad Blocker Plus for either Chrome or IE, even while using Youtube over the time period you describe. What has annoyed me is that trying to get to Microsoft's Safety Scanner page has proven impossible under most circumstances on either IE or Chrome. I did manage to get through to it once - only to break Windows Update in the process. Now that I fixed Windows Update, I can not get to the Safety Scanner....
Posted by: cxt217 at January 16, 2016 08:41 PM (HFKy5)
| Add Comment
29kb generated in CPU 0.0266, elapsed 0.0795 seconds.
49 queries taking 0.0706 seconds, 285 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.